EDB (Extensible Storage Engine Database) file format is supported by Microsoft Exchange account to save all its mailbox items including contacts, emails, calendars, etc. in the EDB file format. Users sometimes have queries on how to convert EDB to PST file format due to various possible reasons. MS Outlook supports the PST (Personal Storage Table) file format to store all the data in the Outlook profile. There are several amazing features offered by Outlook to send and receive emails which attracts the users. In order to export EDB to PST format, there are numerous methods available for free which can easily and accurately perform the conversion process. Here in this blog, we will provide a few free recommended methods to export Exchange EDB to PST format including manual as well as the use of automated EDB to PST converter.
Before moving any further, let’s understand why there is a need to convert EDB files to PST format.
Reasons to Export EDB to PST File Format
There can be various reasons for which users need to migrate their Exchange EDB files into Outlook PST file format. Some of the common reasons for this migration are listed below.
- Backup Purposes – Sometimes the users may find it necessary to make a backup of some specific mailboxes. Backing up of EDB files in Outlook PST is a much cost-effective option for Exchange administrators.
- Portability needs – Outlook PST files are easily portable and easy to access when the user saves the EDB database in PST. With different storage devices, users can move the data instantly to other locations.
- To keep the previous record – When the user wants to keep the previous data record, then back up of the EDB files to PST is a reliable option for them.
- Compliance Requirements – For any compliance or legal requirements, it is necessary for a user to save, collect or retain some of the specific data for the long run.
These are some of the possible reasons for which users want to migrate EDB to PST format and have a query on how to convert EDB to PST file format. Now, let’s move further and see how manual processes work for EDB to PST migration.
Manual Strategies on How to Convert EDB to PST Format
Here we will discuss the two manual methods for Exchange EDB to PST conversion. However, before starting the process, it is suggested to create a copy of the original data as there are several limitations and risk of data loss due to human errors.
Method 1: Export through the Exchange Merge Utility
- Launch the Exchange Merge utility.
- Select the two-step procedure.
- Now click on the option extract data from the exchange server mailbox.
- Enter the details in the source server window such as name, domain name, etc.
- Click on the Next button.
- Now go to the import procedure tab.
- Choose active data to target the store options.
- Select EDB data to export in the next window.
- Now define the location to save the resultant file.
- To start the process of exporting, click on the Next button.
Method 2: Export through the Exchange Admin Centre
- Open Exchange Admin Center.
- Go to recipients and then to Mailboxes.
- Select the data you want to migrate, right-click on it, and then select the export to PST option.
- Now users can change or add the EDB mailboxes using the browse feature.
- Users can now add any mailbox item as per the want, to receive the notification for the process of export.
- Once the export process is successfully completed, the mailbox will automatically move to the shared folder.
Also, there are several limitations of using the manual strategies to export Exchange EDB to PST file format. We have listed some of the limitations here –
- Exports data only up to 2GB.
- A more time-consuming and tedious process.
- Only supports the earlier Exchange versions like Exchange 2003.
- Risk of severe data loss.
- Technical knowledge is required.
- Do not support the conversion of corrupt EDB files.
These are the manual methods for how to convert EDB to PST file format. As we have seen there are some limitations with the manual approach of migration, so users can also use a free alternate best EDB to PST converter tool available in the market.
Automated Solution on How to Export EDB to PST Format
Users can use an alternate automated EDB file converter for an accurate and safe process of conversion. To avoid all the limitations as we have seen in the manual approach, the automated professional process is a perfect solution for migration. Check out the outstanding DRS best EDB to PST converter tool which can easily export multiple Exchange EDB files to PST, EML, MSG, PDF, MBOX, HTML, Office 365, etc. The utility supports all the versions of MS Exchange and Windows OS. It offers various amazing features that simplify the process of conversion for users.
- Easily exports Exchange EDB files to PST, EML, MBOX, PDF, HTML, Office 365, etc.
- Effortlessly recovers all the corrupted or deleted EDB files.
- Provides auto-detect feature.
- No technical knowledge required.
- Offers an easy user-friendly GUI.
- Saves the EDB files on the basis of selected dates.
- Allows to split large PST files and preview the recovered items.
- The hierarchy of the folder is maintained during the conversion process.
- The date filter feature is available to exclude unwanted emails.
- Three recovery modes are available – Standard mode, Advanced mode, and Deep mode.
- Supports all the versions of MS Exchange and Windows OS.
- DRS offers the smart EDB to PST converter for Free for a complete month.
These are some amazing features that will help users with an efficient conversion process. Data Recovery Solutions (DRS) is offering the smart utility for free for a complete month which makes it worth using.
In this blog above, we have discussed the recommended solutions for the user’s query on how to convert EDB to PST file format. We have seen the manual as well as the professional automated solution, but at the same time, there are several limitations and some risks with the manual approach. So, it is suggested to use the smart free automated solution for a quick and efficient conversion process.