Etsy offers many benefits to sellers like free listings, easy-to-use tools, the ability to manage inventory from anywhere with an internet connection, and much more. Not to mention, the platform offers a marketplace where people sell all sorts of things. However, the site has over four million sellers, making it challenging to stand out from the crowd.
If you have an Etsy shop, then SEO is a must. The better your Etsy SEO is, the more likely people will find your products. There are many ways that Etsy SEO can help increase traffic to your store and boost your sales. In this blog post, we will discuss 5 of those ways.
1. Etsy SEO Makes it Easier to Choose a Fitting Shop Name
Choosing an SEO-friendly shop name is crucial to your success on Etsy. If your shop name is too long or generic, people won’t find it with ease. Etsy SEO can help make this process easier by ensuring that the words in your title are searchable and descriptive enough for buyers to recognize them when they’re looking for products specific to your business.
Whether you get Etsy SEO help or do it yourself, you need to make sure that your shop name is catchy and memorable. If people are more likely to search for you using a brand name, you might want to go with that.
2. Etsy SEO Helps You Find the Right Keywords
Etsy SEO is all about using the right keywords to optimize your listings. For example, if you have a store that sells handmade jewelry, keyword phrases like “handmade jewelry” and “beaded earrings” might be helpful since they are used in searches for these products on Etsy.
As a result, anyone looking for handmade jewelry or beaded earrings will likely find your products on Etsy. By using the right keywords, you are also more likely to rank higher in search engine results pages since Google and other search engines take these words into account when they rank a website.
The better your keyword strategy is for Etsy SEO, the easier it becomes to stand out from the crowd.
3. You Can Take Advantage of Promotion Opportunities to Get Inbound Links
SEO algorithms and search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. have made it their business to find your content. They rank websites higher in the search results if they deem them to be more relevant for a specific topic or keyword phrase you’ve searched for.
One way they do this is by looking at the number of other websites linking to your website. The more relevant and authoritative sites that link back to you mean higher rankings for your site in search results.
One crucial Etsy SEO strategy is linking to your blog and social sites. However, this isn’t enough. You need to take advantage of other linking opportunities to boost your ranking. Some of the ways to go about this include:
- Participating in forums related to your niche
- Contributing a guest blog post or article
- Being active on social media and retweeting relevant posts from authoritative sites
- Starting a referral or affiliate program
- Requesting reviews from influencers in exchange for free products
- Reaching out to other bloggers
4. Etsy SEO Helps You Provide an Excellent Customer Experience
Etsy strives to offer an excellent customer experience. As a result, the marketplace considers whether each shop is in good standing with Etsy policies and customer service records. If your shop is up to the expected standard, there’s an increased likelihood that you’ll rank well in Etsy search engine listings.
To be in good standing with Etsy policies, you’re expected to follow the Dos and Don’ts.
- List prohibited items in your shop (e.g., do not list weapons, alcohol, or tobacco)
- Fill out all of your shop information to give Etsy customers a better shopping experience; include tags for sizing and measurements if applicable.
- Complete all sections on your store, including About, Listing Policies, Payments, and Shipping.
- Complete your shop’s profile page with a business name.
- Upload high-resolution product images that showcase the quality of your craft to attract future customers looking for handcrafted goods.
- Offer complete descriptions of your products, including materials used and dimensions, so that shoppers can make informed buying decisions.
It’s also crucial to offer top-notch customer service because this can make or break your Etsy SEO efforts. Responding to messages and transactions promptly, handling exchanges and returns, and responding to negative responses can reduce the likelihood of negative reviews.
5. Etsy SEO Helps You Make Smart Pricing Decisions
Etsy knows that most customers prefer shops that don’t charge much for shipping. Since the marketplace benefits when a customer completes a purchase, it favors listings with lower shipping fees.
When you understand how Etsy SEO works, you can use such knowledge to your advantage. For example, you may decide to offer free shipping on most of your items so that customers will have more incentive to buy from your shop.
However, this may not always be possible, especially if you have a low-profit margin. In this case, there are several things you can do. These include:
- Include the shipping cost in the product price: this will keep you from losing money on shipping and attract customers looking for free shipping deals. For instance, if the product is selling at $10 and shipping is $2.50, you can change the product price to $12.50 and offer free shipping. This way, your listing will rank higher because there are o shipping costs, but you won’t incur any additional charges to ship the product to the customer.
- Reduce the shipping cost: Alternatively, you can reduce the shipping cost by adding a portion of it to the product’s total price. For example, if the product sells at $10 and ships for $5, you can change the product price to $12.50 and make the shipping cost $2.50. Doing this will also improve your ranking because the shipping costs are significantly lower.
You can’t afford to rest on your laurels as Etsy SEO evolves. To stay ahead of the competition and to get a leg up on your competitors, make sure you’re doing all that you can do with SEO for your listings. As you have seen, there are plenty of benefits to Etsy SEO. Therefore, whether you’re new to the platform or you’ve been around for a while, you must take the time to make sure your listings are following best practices.