To drive and maneuver forklifts it is necessary to have a forklift license, or the appropriate professional qualification.
According to the regulations in force in the USA, in order to drive a motor vehicle on the road, it is necessary to have obtained the driving license of the appropriate category. There are other types of vehicles that require a specific qualification to be driven and maneuvered: these are particular work equipment, identified as such by the State-Regions Agreement of February 2012. The text establishes that these ‘vehicles’ can only be used by those who obtain a professional qualification according to the procedures established by the Agreement itself.
What is a Forklift:
The agreement between the State and the Regions signed in 2012 was aimed at “identifying the work equipment for which a specific operator qualification is required, as well as the methods for recognizing this qualification”. Among these, the text also mentions “self-propelled forklifts with the driver on board” (commonly referred to as ‘forklifts’) which include:
Forklifts equipped with one or more articulated arms, telescopic or not, non-rotating, used to stack loads. The lifting device must not be rotatable or in any case, must not have a rotation movement greater than 5 ° with respect to the longitudinal axis of the trolley “.
Self-propelled industrial trolleys, or “any vehicle equipped with wheels (except those running on rails) designed to transport, tow, push, lift, stack or place on shelves any type of load and operated by an operator on a seat”.
Self-propelled telescopic rotary trolleys, lifters, and elevators.
What is the Forklift license:
The so-called ‘forklift license’ is the professional qualification required for operators in the sector to maneuver forklifts of all kinds. The license is awarded at the end of a training course that can be organized by:
- Ministry of Labor and Social Policies;
- Trade union associations;
- Professional orders and colleges;
- Companies that produce, use, or distribute the machinery listed above;
- Trainers who have documented experience of at least three years;
- The bilateral entities identified by Legislative Decree 10 September 2003.
- The training course is structured in theoretical and practical modules with content and duration, as well as intermediate and final tests, identified in the annexes with reference to the type of equipment “.
Basically, the participants in the training courses must acquire both theoretical notions and practical skills, i.e. learn concretely how to manage machinery and equipment in an effective and safe way, as well as learning the correct ways to implement all the functions of the various types of forklift.
How the Forklift license Course is Structured:
The one to obtain the forklift license is a theoretical-practical training course for workers involved in the operation of forklifts with driver on board.
The Training Course Given Below:
- Legal – regulatory module (duration: one hour): contains general information relating to hygiene regulations, safety in the workplace with particular reference to the operator’s responsibilities;
- Technical module (duration: seven hours): the subjects of study are represented by the various types of the trolley (description of general and particular characteristics), the mechanical components, the command and safety devices, and the visual and functional checks to be carried out before use of the equipment;
- Practical module (duration: four hours): it consists of a series of practical exercises; a maximum of six participants can take part.
- Each module is developed more or less in the same way: identification of technical and structural components, control and safety devices, previous and preparatory checks for use, preliminary checks with respect to placing on the road, route planning, practical operational exercises, maneuvers emergency and shutdown (parking, precautions and charging the batteries).
At the end of the first two theoretical modules, the training process includes an intermediate evaluation test (a multiple choice questionnaire, similar to driving license quizzes). The test is considered passed if the candidate correctly answers 70% of the questions.
The qualification certificate is issued to the candidate who successfully passed the intermediate and final tests and attended at least 90% of the course hours. For the actual exercise of the profession, a certificate of medical fitness is also required, including a drug test that excludes addiction to psychotropic substances.
Forklift License Duration and Renewal:
The State-Regions Agreement establishes that the license for driving forklifts has a duration of five years, starting from the date of issue of the same. Within this period, the holder of the qualification must provide for the renewal “after verification of suitability for the job and participation in a refresher course”.
The refresher course has a minimum duration of four hours; three of these must be dedicated to the procedures contained in the specific practical modules.
The institution that held the training course is required to keep, for ten years, the “course file” which contains: the participant’s personal data, the participant’s certificate of suitability, and the register of the course.
Forklift License Cost: Courses, Updating and Renewal:
The cost of a training course to obtain the professional qualification for PLE varies according to the type of specialization (excluding VAT):
- 125 Dollars for self-propelled forklifts;
- 180 Dollars for telescopic forklifts;
- 205 Dollars for forklifts of all kinds.
As regards the refresher courses necessary for the renewal of the license, to be carried out every 5 years, the costs to be incurred (excluding VAT) are as follows:
- 65 euros for self-propelled forklifts;
- 85 euros for telescopic forklifts.
For employees, the costs of the training and refresher course (those indicated above are indicative) are incurred by the company where the participant is already employed.