Do you have an upcoming party, friends coming over, or fussy eaters in your household and are searching for ways to cook delicious hearty meals without having to use traditional dairy milk? When it comes to catering for different dietary requirements such as lactose intolerance, this may leave a shortlist of what types of food you can prepare.
As one of the best soy products, soy milk is a healthier alternative to cow milk while still being a great source of vitamins, protein, isoflavones, and many more. If you are looking for more ways to incorporate soy milk into your diet or a healthier version of your favourite foods when entertaining guests, then give these following recipes a try tonight:
Macaroni and cheese
What you’ll need:
- Soy milk x 2 cups
- Broccoli (trimmed and stems removed) x 250 grams
- Butter x 20 grams
- Leg ham (sliced or finely chopped) x 100 grams
- Fresh parsley (lightly chopped) x 2 tablespoons
- Gluten-free macaroni twists x 1 packet
- Gluten-free plain flour x 2 tablespoons
- Shredded soy cheese (or any type of cheese you prefer) x 100 grams
- Fresh chives (finely chopped) x 100 grams
- Preheat an oven to 180°C. Then grab a baking dish and line it with some baking paper or lightly spray the base with cooking oil.
- Fill a pot with salted water over high heat. Once boiling, cook the gluten-free macaroni twists as according to the instructions on the back of the packaging.
- When the pasta has about two minutes of cooking time left, add in the broccoli and boil.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli, then pour into a bowl to be put aside.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low. Add in the butter and once it has melted add in the flour. Cook for two minutes while stirring.
- Stir in the soy milk and turn up the heat to bring it to a boil.
- Cook for another five minutes while whisking constantly.
- Once done, take off the heat and stir in the cheese and pepper.
- Add in the pasta, broccoli, chives, and ham. Stir until all the ingredients are fully mixed together.
- Now pour the pot into the baking dish while making sure it is evenly spread across.
- Place in the oven and bake between 15 to 20 minutes so it forms a delicious golden brown top.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with a sprinkle of the fresh parsley.
Fried cauliflower (KFC style)
What you’ll need for the seasoning:
- Garlic salt x 2 tablespoons
- Dried thyme x ½ tablespoon
- Mustard powder x 1 tablespoon
- White pepper (or black pepper) x 3 tablespoons
- Dried oregano x 1/3 tablespoon
- Gluten-free plain flour x 2 cups
- Ground ginger x 1 tablespoon
- Salt x 1 tablespoon
- Smoked paprika x 4 tablespoons
- Dried basil x ½ tablespoon
- Celery salt x 1 tablespoon
Everything else you’ll need:
- Sunflower oil (enough to ensure each piece of cauliflower doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan).
- Chipotle sauce x ¼ cup
- Cauliflower (cut into pieces with the stems) x 2
- Soy milk x 1 cup
- Grab a bowl and whisk in the chipotle and soy milk.
- Coat the cauliflower in the mixture, ensuring that each piece is fully coated, and then place in the fridge for a minimum of four hours.
- Grab a bowl and mix in together all of the ingredients for the seasoning.
- Take the cauliflower out of the fridge. Shake off any excess liquid and completely coat each piece of cauliflower in the seasoning. (You will want to ensure each piece has several layers of coating, so you may need to turn each piece around a few times).
- If you don’t have a deep fryer, grab a skillet or large frying pan and place on a high heat.
- Add in enough cooking oil so that each piece is not touching the bottom of the pan.
- Once hot, turn the heat down to medium-high and cook the pieces in batches until they are crispy and turn golden brown. (For a healthier alternative to deep-frying, you can fry it in an air fryer with a spray of extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil).
- Once each batch is cooked, place on a paper towel and very gently pat down with another paper towel.
- Serve with sriracha mayo or any condiment of your choice!
As one of the best soy products in Australia, soy milk is a great way to keep your cholesterol levels down and will taste incredible in any dish you are cooking or baking!