Malwarebytes is a popular anti-malware software that keeps your device safe for free. It is a lightweight anti-malware software that provides many other features besides removing unknown infections very quickly.
It’s available as free software, but you can also upgrade to a premium version that includes many other features such as ransomware protection, malicious URL protection, real-time protection, and more.
Malwarebytes fills your PC with popup windows. These popups include:
• The premium trial has expired
• Buy an upgrade
• Protection is disabled
• Malwarebytes anti-exploits
These popups continue to be interrupted by these premium popups, which can be very annoying when working on your device. Also, these popups usually don’t go away quickly.
How to stop Malwarebytes popup?
For Windows PC
If you are using a Windows PC, here are some fixes you can implement to easily Block Malwarebytes popups.
Fix 1 (Malwarebytes disables notifications)
You can disable notifications from the Malwarebytes app to disable annoying persistent popups. These are the steps to do that.
• Open Malwarebytes on your system.
• Go to settings.
• On the Applications tab, make the following changes:
• Uncheck the toggle next to “Notify me when full version updates are available.”
• This will disable the update popup.
• Uncheck the toggle next to Show Malwarebytes notifications in the Windows system tray
• This will disable system tray notifications.
• Uncheck the toggle next to Show notifications when real-time protection is off
• This will stop notifications if protection settings are disabled.
• This will disable all notification popups received by the system.
Fix 2 (Disable startup at startup)
Malwarebytes is configured to start when Windows starts by default. This causes the application to send updates from the beginning.
You can disable Malwarebytes startup at startup by following these simple steps:
• Open Task Manager. You can access it from the WinX menu (press Win + X or right-click on the Start button)
• On the Home tab, look for Malwarebytes
• Right-click on it and select Disable.
• This will prevent the Malwarebytes anti-malware application from running at startup.
Fix 3 (opt-out of premium trial)
Malwarebytes offers a 30-day free trial of the premium version. After that, if it has not been updated for the premium version, it will revert to the free version. At the end of the trial period, you can automatically cancel the premium trial.
However, running the anti-malware software for the entire trial period will trigger an update notification popup. This is the main reason for the update notifications to appear.
You can opt-out of the premium version and start the free version sooner than usual. In this way, it does not trigger an update popup.
To cancel your premium trial, follow these steps:
• Open the Malwarebytes application.
• Click Settings in the left pane.
• On the Account Details tab, click Disable Premium Trial at the bottom of the page.
- Click Yes for the following message:
This will remove you from the premium trial and change your application to Malwarebytes for free. Therefore, the update popup will not be displayed unnecessarily.
For Mac devices
You can also disable anti-malware notifications on your Mac PC. Here are the steps you need to take to adjust Malwarebytes popup notifications:
• Open System Preferences. You can access it by clicking the Apple icon in the menu bar and selecting System Preferences.
• Click Notification
• From the list of available applications, click on Malwarebytes Agent
• For the MalwarebytesAgent alert style, select None.
• This will stop all notifications and alert notifications from Malwarebytes on your Mac device.
• Turn off all other notification options as well.
• You’ll see a list of other notification options such as lock screen notifications, Notification Center, and badge app icons. Turn them off as well to stop other notifications displayed on your device.
• Close the notification menu.
When you close the notification, the Malwarebytes notification disappears from your device.
Things to remember
The above steps will help you understand how to stop Malwarebytes popups on Windows and Mac devices. These steps will stop all non-essential notifications from the system. However, keep in mind that important notifications may continue to appear depending on the nature of the threat. You may continue to see these notifications.
Real-time protection blocked threat notification: These notifications are also necessary for a sense. It doesn’t matter if the app displays a notification when handling the threat. Other notifications can be very annoying, and now we have a simple procedure for turning off notifications.