Choosing between a gas geyser and an electric geyser might be difficult, especially if you are new to the geyser world and gas geyser vs electric geyser is a comparison that is tricky to you. However, the easiest way to identify which geyser is best gas or electric is to compare their strengths, and disadvantages; to select which one to choose.
Gas geysers and electric geysers work in various ways, and each has its own set of benefits and drawbacks when it comes to water heating. Consider the two types of geysers’ safety, as well as their lifespan, cost, efficiency, performance, and how they work.
There are numerous foreign and Indian branded geysers and water heaters available in the market. Among them, Godrej, Bajaj, AO Smith, Havells, Racold, Venus geysers are quite popular.
All of these companies provide 1 year of free service from the date of purchase. After that, if you need any repair or parts replacement, you have to contact a third party Bajaj geyser & water heater repair centre in Kolkata or any other city in India.
How does a gas geyser work?
For heating, gas geysers use LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas). The power of these geysers to heat water is unrestricted. Gas geysers give an endless supply of heated water as well as rapid heat. Gas geysers are less energy-efficient than electric geysers but recover quickly. It’s no surprise that they’re the most practical option for larger families. Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Pune, Bangalore, Delhi, and Hyderabad were formerly known for their gas geysers. However, due to gas geyser requirements such as a large bathroom with sufficient ventilation, people are gradually shifting away from it in metros. However, gas geysers are becoming more common in tier 2 cities like Borivali, Vadodara, Faridabad, Mysore, and Dehradun.
Suggested article: How Often Will You Need Your Water Heater Repairs?
Variety Of Gas Geysers
- Instant Gas Geyser: Those who do not require a significant amount of water at once will need this. The majority of gas geyser manufacturers in India exclusively offer instant gas geysers.
- Storage Gas Geyser: Those who require a significant amount of hot water, such as bathing in a bathtub, will need this. Because of their basic structure and operation, these geysers are simple to repair. Storage geysers are one of the most famous geyser varieties on the market. In India, these kinds of gas geysers are sporadic.
How Does a Gas Geyser Operate?
Gas geyser heat water by utilising a gas burner positioned beneath a large tank from which the heated water is transported via pipelines. When pressure builds up in a gas geyser during heating, the pressure valve intervenes and releases the pressure. When the tap for the hot water is turned on, the water of normal temperature enters the geyser’s chamber. The geyser’s sensor now detects the water flow, which lights the burner, after which the water cycles through the heat exchanger. Now, this heat exchanger increases the temperature of the water to the desired level. The machine turns off when the tap is turned off.
Gas Geyser Advantages
• You have control over the temperature and rate of heating.
• Heating is consistent, allowing you to save energy. If you use the hot water right away, you will save a lot of heat energy.
• It is very easy to fix a gas geyser
• It is suitable for a large family
• Gas geysers can be run on both pipeline natural gas and household LPG cylinders, so they don’t require electricity.
Gas Geyser Disadvantages
• Additional storage space for the LPG cylinder is required, and the bathroom must have adequate ventilation.
• Gas geysers had a relatively modest market in India.
The majority of gas geysers are merely instant gas geysers. Models of storage gas geysers are not accessible. Gas geysers are quickly becoming obsolete.
• Difficult to install and can only be done by experts.
• Short life lifetime since gas burners are prone to damage.
• A gas geyser pollutes the environment by releasing carbon monoxide into the air when it burns LPG or natural gas.
• The cost of gas geysers is rising every day due to rising gas prices and the ongoing energy crisis.
Electric geysers have grown highly popular simply because of the convenience they provide. Copper coils are used in electric geysers to convert power to heat energy. This sort of geyser has undergone several variations, but the basic idea remains the same.
An electric heating element heats the water in the geyser tank. High-efficiency units have increased insulation to prevent heat loss. Electrical instant geysers and electrical storage geysers are the two types of electric geysers accessible.
How to buy the best electric geyser?
Heating capacity, wattage, hot water holding storage space, and convenient installation, as well as maintenance alongside the price, is a detrimental factor. Buying only the branded ones with an adequate warranty is strongly advised.
Electric Geyser Advantage
• Electric geysers can be installed almost anywhere.
• Electric geysers are simple to operate.
• Less expensive energy source for heating the water.
• There is no release of carbon monoxide because no fuel is burned.
• The speed of heating is breakneck.
• The lifespan of an electric geyser is significantly longer than that of a gas geyser.
Electric Geyser Disadvantages
• To use an electric geyser, you’ll need electricity.
• Buying and operating it is pretty expensive.
• Short circuit blow-off might be dangerous.
Comparison Between Gas Geyser vs Electric Geyser
• 1-litre water costs roughly 40 paise for Aadhar subsidized LPG. It costs 80 paise for non-subsidy LPG.
• A 6-litre instant gas geyser will set you back between Rs. 4,000 and Rs. 4,500.
• Extremely dangerous: Not recommended based on safety.
• It can heat up the water 3 times faster than an electrical geyser.
• It necessitates more storage space for the LPG cylinder as well as adequate ventilation for the burners to produce flames.
• The life span is limited because the gas heating burners are prone to damage.
• The only model available in stores is an instant geyser; a storage geyser requires an advance order.
• The installation is complex because the LPG must be connected, and the fumes outflow must be correctly provided.
• It could emit carbon monoxide, which would need to be adequately vented out.
• The manufacturer provides a 1-2 year warranty on gas geysers.
• Popular gas geyser brands include Bajaj and V-Guard.
Consumers always ask two prominent questions.
Is it safe to use a gas geyser?
For domestic use, if the household consumption of hot water is a lot every day, then putting the gas geyser makes sense to take the risk. Otherwise no.
How do I choose a gas geyser?
It would be best to consider the need, space, budget, maintenance convenience with the model and then make the final decision.
• Little expensive, 6-litre instant electric geyser costs Rs. 6,000 to 8,000.
• The cost of heating 1 litre of water is approximately 80 paisa.
• It is entirely risk-free.
• It takes a long time for the water to heat up.
• It has enough wall mounting space.
• It has a life of 5-7 years.
• Instant and stored geysers are both available.
• Installation is simple and does not necessitate any technical knowledge.
• It doesn’t pollute the environment.
• The manufacturer provides at least a two-year warranty on electric geysers.
• Bajaj, V-Guard, Havells, Racold, AO Smith, Kenstar, and Crompton are popular brands.
Is an electric geyser dangerous?
Not at all, as long as there are no naked wires or connections that can cause a short-circuit or shock the user.
Is a gas geyser cheaper than an electric geyser?
Evidently, between gas geyser vs electric geyser, the electric geyser is best for domestic use while gas geyser is alright for commercial places such as hotels, restaurants, and other organisations where hot water may be required on a regular basis. Also, gas geysers would be only cheaper for the consumer who is enjoying the subsidy.
Furthermore, for families that are small or big, it is always good to have simple appliances for making life easy; rather than bring in complex machines and stress everyone in the house.